Saturday, December 18, 2010

Day 18: Persimmon Cookies




Today was our 2nd annual cookie baking party. The kitchen in my tiny townhouse was packed with 4 bodies at a time, mixing, stirring, washing dishes, and poppin' sweetness in the oven. There was a total of 9 people other than G and I in my humble abode today. But it felt nice, having my very close friends and family over, to share in the craziness of a cookie bake, and the background noise of Mario Party and Mario Kart and Wii Sports in the background.

My mom and sister divulged several childhood stories, some already told and some new to thoroughly embarrass me. But hey, what's family for? At heart, it's all a good laugh, and good times, and when you have friends in your like that have been there for you for years, it's all good times.


One of the recipes made one the holiday classic (and staple in out home); Persimmon cookies. This recipe is from my grandmother's cook book and has been in the family for years. It's not autumn unless my grandma's cokkies are made.

There are some things you taste, and a a bubble of your childhood flashes before your mind's eye. In this bubble you can taste everything that you remember, that was happy, that made you smile. And by the time you're done eating the cookie, you took a trip down memory lane.

This is what holidays should always be.

-A

No comments: